Kevin and Bailie foolishly invited the club to meet in their lovely home in Salem. And we showed up in force!
We had 33 members, 7 guests, and 1 new member, Robb Burden. (And three kids….)
Before the general meeting began, guest speaker Izzy Fuqua of the Taubman Museum spoke about their Beer 101 series. Some details:
- First Thursday of each month
- 6-8 p.m.
- Featuring a local brewery, with casual conversations about their label art
- Free pours of 2-3 beers from that brewery, trying to get at least one that is a special release
- February’s Beer 101 featured Hardywood and was attended by about 120 people
- Website: http://www.taubmanmuseum.org/main/calendar/open-late-thursday-nights
Treasurer’s report: Mike U: 40 paid members (before meeting) and $1920 in the bank.
- March 21st – Thom & Jeannie (Specialty IPA competition)
- April – Harry (Saison presentation)
- May 2nd – James & Joan (Big Brew)
- Dan Tatarka was finally awarded the BOTY 2014 plaque and t-shirt. Congratulations Dan!
- There are still t-shirts and cups for sale!
- Chris Barth volunteered to be club secretary to take notes at the meetings. Before I even asked, Kathy stepped up and took notes for February’s meeting! Kathy will also act as Chris’ backup for when he is unable to attend. Thanks to both Chris & Kathy (I have enough trouble keeping myself organized – taking notes is just too much for my old brain…)
- We are looking for volunteer (or volunteers) to solicit donations from local businesses for 50/50 raffle prizes. If we are giving away more than just half the kitty, we might be able to get more people involved. Plus it makes it more fun…
- Incorporation paperwork is back. We are now officially a corporation with all of the protections that it provides. Thanks to all who made it possible!
- Rob Burden is opening a homebrew shop in Clearbrook south of Wal-Mart
- Southern Hills Homebrew Supply
- Targeting a March 1st opening
- Web: http://www.southernhillshomebrew.com
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: Southern Hills Homebrew Supply
- Twitter: @RoanokeHomebrew
- Address: 5342 Franklin Road SW, Roanoke, VA
- National Homebrew Conference–Devil’s Backbone will take kegs to the meeting in San Diego in June and sponsor a “Virginia Homebrewer’s booth”.
- We selected BOTY Dan to brew a beer to represent SCBG. What kind of beer should he make? Suggestions?
- Rob Burden/Southern Hills Brewing will donate ingredients!
- Loaner beer system: a list will be sent out via email soliciting donations of equipment
- Love of the Brew–The Rare Beer Festival in the Market Building–7 March–volunteers will be needed. More info to come.
- Summer campout location–hope to limit it to no more than 1 1/2 hour drive from Roanoke. Suggested locations:
- Jellystone National Park (from Carrie)
- Cave Mountain Lake (from Joe)
- Wild Man Dan’s (from Dan T.)
- Arcadia a private property along the James (from Martha).
- Who will check on these locations to determine if we can bring beer, camp, have a fire, etc? Let’s get some more details and we can put it up for vote!
- External competition: Carrie, Kevin, Chris B, Kathy & Takumi volunteered to join the competition committee.
- Fast track challenge at Big Brew. Vote passed to buy 2 units and plastic conical fermenter for $65 to use and then put them up for auction to members.
- Carrie and Justin won honors for their Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Stout at Blacksburg BrewDo in October. The prize was to assist with brewing their recipe and it looks like that might finally happen Valentine’s Day weekend. We’ll have to organize a group visit to taste it when it’s ready!
- Soft opening for Wild Man Dan BB&B (Bed Breakfast & Beer) coming soon (April?)!
- web: http://wmdb3.com
50/50 Raffle Drawing
- 50/50 raffle winner: John Merkwan ($27 for the winner and $27 for the club!)