Saturday July 10th at 4pm
The home of Christopher Urbane.
There were 16 members and guests in attendance.
New guests included Kevin Guimont from Christiansburg and Craig from Lynchburg.
- Thank you to Christopher Urbane for hosting.
- August Meeting – Doug Moyer’s home, date TBD.
- If we are unable to meet for one last pool party shindig at the Moyer’s, then Harry Montoro has offered to be a backup.
- Upcoming Events
- Learn To Homebrew Day – Saturday November 6th @ Southern Hills Homebrew Supply
- HomebrewCon 2022 – June 23rd through June 25th 2022 in Pittsburgh, PA
- Competition Updates – No Updates
- Low ABV Project –
- Four members brought samples of their Low ABV beer experiments. Rudy and Dave brought NEIPAs, Tim brought something wheat-y, and Matt brought a ginger beer.
- A mini competition was held and Matt’s beer was declared the winner. He will receive a $50 gift card to Twisted Tracks and will collaborate with the brewery to produce a commercial example.
- Congratulations Matt!
- Work Shirt/T-Shirt Order – Robert Hedge was unable to attend, thus there was no update.
- Service Event for Feeding SWVA – Allen Francis was unable to attend the meeting, but requested us to judge the interest of us as a group if here were able to arrange a service day with Feeding SWVA.
- Fully half of attendees did express interest. Once Allen is able to firm up details, more information will follow.
- It was noted that this could be positive PR for the club and Christopher Urbane offered to draft a press release once we are committed.
- Newsletter – Steve Lusk and Chris Rill produced the first ever issue of the Star City Brewers Guild Newsletter.
- It includes an interview with this month’s meeting host, an article on pressure fermenting, and news. All members in attendance agreed that Steve and Chris did a tremendous job.
- If you would like to be involved with the newsletter moving forward, please get in touch with Steve or Chris.
- Treasurer’s Report – Mike Usberghi read the Treasurer’s Report. I do not have the numbers in my notes, but the club is flush.
- September Competition – 10A German Weissbier Presentation and commercial tasting
- Mike Usberghi led a style presentation for BJCP Category 10A with some tips and tricks, and poured commercial examples. The commercial examples were Hacker-Pschorr Weisse and Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier.
- A style presentation from members Rudy Lyon and Matt Klumpp can also be found online at the SCBG Films channel on YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ9fvLyKQrg
- Outlays – The club now has a Zoom account so that we can hold meetings or other events online for longer than 45 minutes. If you would like to arrange a meeting, please contact Robb Burden.
- A new pop up tent has not been purchased yet, but will be prior to the next Guild event.
- Open Floor
- Check out the SCBG YouTube channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfhYi7kzAwtATZ6EvJKB_Pw
- John mentioned hiring a vehicle for a club trip to the Hoppy Possum beer festival (https://www.hoppypossum.com/ ) being held in Johnson City, TN on September 25th. There was much interest in this endeavor and John Thompson will organize the effort if there are enough members willing to go. In addition to the beer festival Hoppy Possum also organizes a “Peoples Choice” type homebrew competition. More info can be found at their website.
- The September 2021 meeting will be held at the home of Dave Gibson during the second weekend of September. Specific date TBD.
- Tim Paul, Amanda Fralin, and Keith Fields have been brewing in the parking lot at Southern Hills Homebrew Supply once a month lately. They invite others to join them for their next brew day on July 31st. The last brewday was livestreamed and can be found on the Facebook page of Southern Hills Homebrew Supply.