«

»

August 2017 meeting notes

It was a busy meeting at Doug and Kelleigh’s wonderful home & outdoor oasis! Thanks again to our hosts for having us.The meeting was attended by 34 members, 2 guests and 5 children for a total of 41. We were fortunate to have our resident Mycologist, Skip Taliaferro, present a wonderful summary of his craft including the many forms of mushrooms we can find in the Appalachian and Blue Ridge Mountains. As usual, there was lots of wonderful hand-crafted food and beer to sample. We welcomed Ken Knott as a new member.

Meeting Notes:

  • Next meeting (Brett Beer Competition) is Saturday September 23th 3PM-6PM at Steve & Barbara’s. NOTE DATE CHANGE FROM THE 16TH.
  • Treasurer’s report-(Diane L)
    • Bank balance id $4612.64. There is also $86.86 in the club Paypal account from Throwdown entry payments.
  • Skip’s mushroom presentation
    • Skip presented an informative presentation on mushrooms with emphasis on those common in this area
  • Go Outside festival (10/13-15) update (Takumi S)
    • Need volunteers to brew and pour. Also need sample beer donations. Please sign up on Takumi’s google sheets document. If you can’t access this file please email Takumi with your plans.
    • https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11qAcGKC5wSRZE4joSaL0amEBQoIpWTJzpVEfwi0Luyg/edit?usp=sharing
    • Beer brewed will be served at LTHB three weeks after (11/4).
    • Southern Hills to raffle off starter kit with proceeds going to AT Conservancy.
    • Southern Hills and Blue Ridge Hydroponics are donating brew kits for demonstrations.
    • A few questioned the Kegs-only policy for sample beer. Rudy will discuss with Takumi to see if there’s a
  • SCBG 20th Anniversary planning update (Carrie C)
    • Thanks to Fred Smith & Tom Kirby from Twisted Tail for letting us sample their que.
    • 72 Silipints will be ordered soon. They will be sold for $5 each with first 52 going to those that indicated they wanted one or more on our poll.
    • Event will be Sunday October 22 starting at noon at the NEW BLBC. Catered by Twisted Tail BBQ.
    • Ross agreed to gather member photos that can be used for a slideshow. Please reach out to Ross to make plans for copying your photos. Ross Agee <cloud1349@gmail.com>.
    • Invitations will be sent to paid members and their children, pro brewers that were members and past presidents. We’ve been planning based on a headcount of 75.
    • Doug has not had enough support for the charity event portion of our 20th Rudy suggested we revisit it next year.
  • Microfestivus comments (Harry M)
    • Thank you Harry & Doug! See judging results at end.
  • Throwdown update & planning (Kathy M & Jason C)
    • Things are moving along. Matt K is working on judges. Rudy, Dan and Doug are groveling for prizes. Kathy and Jason are keeping everyone in line.
    • 28 entries have been submitted thus far.
  • Camping outing (Skip)
    • Reschedule for Fall? No further discussion other than a few members expressed disappointment that we didn’t go through with plans.
  • Open floor.
    • Deschutes tasting room is now open. Starr Hill to follow soon.
    • A little disappointment was aired over our inability to compare Chaos group brews, even though a portion of the meeting was earmarked for it.
  • 50/50 drawing-(Harry M)
    • $97 split between Guild and Ian McElhone. Congrats Ian & thanks Harry.