May 2017 Big-Brew & meeting notes:
On a personal note, Diane and I want to thank everyone who helped us celebrate Big Brew and attend our May meeting. It’s always a pleasure to have a hand in getting people together and seeing them have a good time. It was an uncharacteristically cool & breezy May 6th with clouds dominating sun, but that didn’t slow things down. Five brewing stations were heating water by 9:30AM and shortly thereafter the smell of mashes and boils filled the air and warmed the garage. To top it off, James B was preparing his world famous Chicken Jambalaya and the combined aromas were amazing!
Another highlight was Matt & Rachel Klumpp’s very creative Baltic Porter style presentation using separate stations for each sample as well as asking each taster to focus and then report on one element of the style. Good job guys. And thanks to Lynn Donnary for documenting the day and taking our annual Big Brew photo.
- 40 attendees consisting of 31 members, 4 guests and 5 children.
- 30 gallons of beer brewed (Bric & Lee F-10, Matt K-5, John M-5, Allen & Chris-5, Rudy L-5)
- Jimmy and Marisa Smith joined the guild bringing YTD paid membership to 91. Welcome Jimmy and Marisa!
- Brewers-thanks to all. The effort you put into transporting your gear across town and brewing is recognized and appreciated:
- Bric & Lee F (Brett Saison using 3-vessel gas fired RIMS system)
- Matt K (Belgian Dubbel using 3 vessel gas fired keggle-cooler )
- Allen F & Chris G (Saison using 3-vessel gas with pumped mash vourlauf & kettle whirlpool )
- Rudy L (Hefeweizen using 3-vessel electric RIMS)
- John M (Altbier using BIAB)